Wednesday 18 July 2012

a DIY Nightstand: Version II

I'm at it again! Yet another nightstand makeover (sorry, I just can't help myself!).

I've been working very hard with my very first 'client' (ahem...my friend), on her bedroom makeover. We've been taking it one step at a time and I must say the room is really coming together - I'll be sure to post the final reveal once it's complete! For now, I'll show you how we transformed her hand-me-down nightstands into chic pieces.

Remember this picture?


That's one sad looking nightstand, indeed. In fact, there were two of them, one on either side of the bed.

To help save my client some money (and to give myself a fun DIY project) I decided to work a little DIY magic on them. Similar to my first DIY nightstand project, I knew that a little paint and a few handles would whip these dated nightstands right into shape!

I hate when people make you wait until the end to see the results...so here's a little sneak peak at the before and after:



Emily Grace's Nightstand: Version II

Materials Used: 

1. A nightstand (of course!)
2. Sand Paper
3. An old rag
4. Spray Paint
5. Painters Tape
6. Ruler & Pencil
7. Craft paint brush
8. Pulls/Handles

Step I: Sand 

I sanded my surface with 150 Grit sandpaper. The lower the grit number the more course the sandpaper. If I had my time back I probably would have gone with a courser sand paper because the surface was really smooth and needed some 'toughening up' so the paint would stick and not chip. 



Step II: Clean the Surface

This step is super important. It's always important to have a clean surface to paint on. Wipe down your surface with a damp cloth, then wipe it with a dry cloth. 


Step III: Prime it Baby!

I had never primed anything before so I was curious to find out how it would turn out? I discovered that primer a.) helps the paint stick to the surface and b.) smooths out the surface (great for if your table is really scratched up!)... and I'm sure it has many other benefits that I'm not yet aware of! 

Make sure to paint and prime in a well ventilated area. This stuff is lethal...we don't want any fatalities! 

P.S. - Not quite sure about how I feel about this particular primer... I might try something different next time. 



Step IV: Spray Away

After you have allowed the primer to dry (read your label for drying time), you can get sprayin'! (this is the fun part!). TIP: Several lighter coats is better than one or two heavy coats. Here's a shot after my first coat...


I used Rustoleum's Painter's Touch in Flat White. That was my first time using a flat finish, and will probably be my last. Don't get me wrong, I love how the tables turned out, but the flat finish was a lot more 'flat' looking than I had anticipated... if that makes any sense?


Let it dry and... spray again! 


Step V: 'Handle' it. 

Make sure to measure and drill the holes for your handles before your last coat of paint. Why? Because you don't want to accidentally scratch or dirty your finishing coat while drilling the holes. Drill the holes, spray your last coat, DRY, then screw them on. 

Optional: Stenciled Lines

I wanted to add some extra 'oomph' to these tables. So I decided to test out painting some thick lines. I have the greatest TIP so pay attention! 

To ensure your paint doesn't bleed underneath the tape, make sure your first coat of paint is super thin, like feathery thin. This allows the tape to form a firm bond with the surface so that for your second coat you can apply the paint generously and not have to worry about the paint bleeding. This worked like a charm - I just happened to not do that on the first table...uh oh! That was a mess that had to be redone. 


Once again...here is the final result! 



Stay tuned for the big reveal of the entire bedroom! 

Bye for now, 

Emily Grace

3 comments:

  1. Emily,

    I just love your creations !!!! With next to nothing but a creative mind you turn the ordinary into things of beauty !

    I love your work or is it play?????

    Rosalind Pinsent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rosalind, you're too kind! Definitely play... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw her dresser after and thought it was nice but I can't believe the before shot! Good work Emily!

    ReplyDelete