Sunday 27 May 2012

Oh You Fancy, huh?

While I prefer to stick to interior design & DIY projects, I do dabble a little bit with event planning. This past week I was put to work planning my Aunt's surprise retirement party! I had a lot of fun planning the colour scheme, flower arrangements, candy bar (they should be standard for parties!), and all the little things in between. Now I do admit, I've had a little bit of practice over the past year, assisting the lovely and very talented, Andrea Hounsell - owner of the wedding/event planning company Something Borrowed Something Blue.

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret - being responsible for making pretty flower arrangements terrifies me. Anyone else feel the same way?! I don't know what it is, but put some flowers in front of me and ask me to make a pretty arrangement and I panic.

How short should I cut them? 
How do I make them stand in place (cause they always flop over on me!)? 
How many should I put in the vase? 
How many different kinds of flowers should I use? 
My mind just can't stop!

When I discovered a VERY simple way to make a beautiful arrangement I just had to share so that I hopefully help calm down any terrified flower arrangers like myself...

I call it the "Calla Lily, You Fancy Huh" arrangement...(cause it does look kinda fancy!)

flower arrangement


the How To:

  • Two Calla Lilies (or flowers of choice) - just $5.99 for the two from my local supermarket, Dominion
  • River rocks - A bag is about $5.00 from Walmart. You can buy large or small rocks - this will depend on the size of your arrangement (large vase = large rocks, small vase = small rocks)
  • Floating Candles - 6 candles for $6.99 from Bowering (a little pricey, but I couldn't find them anywhere else!). Keep in mind how long you will need the candles for - these were 8 hour burning candles which were just right for our event. 
  • One large or small vase 
  • Scissors 
  • Water 




Step One: Place a handful of rocks in the bottom of the vase. 



Step Two: Cut the flowers so that they sit about 1" to 2" below the top of the vase. Push the flowers in-between the rocks inside the vase so they stay anchored at the bottom. 





Step 3: Fill the vase with water until it reaches the top of the flowers.



Step 4: Lay the floating candles in the water & enjoy! Note: The candles aren't necessary, but are a nice added touch (especially for evening events). 




It's spring and LOTS of flowers are in bloom so you have no excuse. Don't be scared. Go make yourself a pretty flower arrangement!





Bye for now,

Emily Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment